August 21, 2014  
   Login  
Gunne Monaghan
Daily Spot

List your property FOR FREE on Gunnemonaghan website call 047 81405

List your property FOR FREE on Gunnemonaghan website call 047 81405

 
Where To buy
In order to help you to understand our area we have put together some information about the towns and locations in County Monaghan, including an overview of the property market. So whatever your requirements, including:
  • Houses for sale
  • Homes for sale
  • Property to rent
  • Commercial offices & retail shops
  • Land & Agrigicultural property
Contact Gunne Monaghan, the local estate agent.
In order to help you to understand our area we have put together some information about the towns and locations in County Monaghan, including an overview of the property market. So whatever your requirements, including:
  • Houses for sale
  • Homes for sale
  • Property to rent
  • Commercial offices & retail shops
  • Land & Agrigicultural property
Contact Gunne Monaghan, the local estate agent.
 
Services
Wrought Iron Works
 
Monaghan Office


Gunne Monaghan
Pauline McAnespie
087 2473806

Tel: 047-81405
Call/Fax: 047-87085


Gunne Monaghan
Pauline McAnespie
087 2473806

Tel: 047-81405
Call/Fax: 047-87085

 
InfoWhere to buy  
Where to buy Minimize

   Filters:  #   A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z   All

Carrickmacross

  • Carrickmacross was developed as a town in the seventeenth century. By 1835 it was the market town for the barony of Farney and was a popular meeting place for an extensive hinterland population. The Convent of the St. Louis Nuns now stands on the site of an original castle built by the Earl of Essex in 1630. Nuns were largely responsible for the revival of lace-making skills in the region and the Carrickmacross Lace Co-operative has been instrumental in keeping the tradition alive today. Carrickmcross lace is famous all around the world.
  • One of the most imposing buildings in the town is the Roman Catholic Church, which was completed in 1866. Of particular significance in the church are the ten beautiful stained-glass windows, which were designed by the renowned artist Harry Clarke in 1925. Other buildings of note include the 18thc St Finbarr's Protestant Church with its magnificent steeple, the Courthouse and the historic Magheross Church.Carrickmacross Equestrian Centre is just 1km from the town and offers lessons or hacks over some of Monaghan's most exceptional woodland and countryside.
  • In the 1960’s new GAA grounds, golf club factories, schools and housing were all built or re-constructed and Carrickmacross prospered as a market town.
  • Nuremore Golf and Country Club, a championship 18-hole course, is well worth a stop-over for the golfing enthusiasts. A piece of the county will be visible in the Brittany town of Carhaix after a street in the French town has been named Rue de Carrickmacross as part of the tenth anniversary of the twinning of the two.
    Carrickmacross has recently seen the benefit of the N2 by pass road. The Phoenix leisure centre and Football Park with handball club is home to many a fine sporting event. The primary schools educate through the English and Irish medium.
  • All this in addition to shops, restaurants, retailers, educational and financial institutions the town has to offer.


 

Carrickroe

  • Carrickroe is a growing village community in the north west of the historic parish of Errigal Truagh, approx. 12 miles north west of Monaghan town.
  • New housing development, school and community leisure facilities have transformed the area in recent years.
  • Carrickroe has a wonderful spirit of enterprise with many small businesses trading successfully.
    Sliabh Beagh, St. Patrick’s Chair and Well and the Leslie Estate at Glaslough are all situated in close proximity.
  • Carrickroe is easy commuting distance with the border with Northern Ireland and the towns of Augher, Clogher and Aughnacloy where a ‘state of the art’ Golf Course at Favour Royal on the northern fringes of the parish is proposed.
    Fishing in Lough Mor and the many mountain lakes and streams is a leisure activity under continuous development.

 

Castleblayney

  • Castleblayney has been referred to as ‘The County and Western’ capital of Ireland. The town is well known for its musical links with Big Tom and Paddy Cole.
  • It is a thriving town with many small industries, attractive businesses and friendly inhabitants. The town was built by the Blayney family and the Courthouse, Market House and Church of Ireland church were added in the late 18th, early 19th centuries.
  • Hope Castle, once home to the world famous Hope Diamond, has an 18-hole Golf Course.
  • The area around ‘Blayney is sometimes called ‘The Killarney of the North’ due to beautiful Lough Muckno and many waterways and smaller lakes.
  • On the main Dublin~Derry route, a new ring road system opened in 2007 which has greatly facilitated this burgeoning market town.

 

Cavan

  • Cavan is a busy lively and progressive town about 2 hours drive from both Dublin and Belfast.
  • It has all the amenities associated with a market and tourist location.
  • A variety of cultural activities including Co Cavan Drama Festival and the NYAH arts festival are held annually.
    There are many fine architectural features to be appreciated along the designated town walks, information is readily available.
  • Kilmore Cathedral is situated bout 4.5 km outside the town on the Killeshandra road.

 

Clogher

  • Clogher, Co Tyrone, situated along the main A4, between Augher and Fivemiletown and only 10 mins drive from the border with Co Monaghan, is surrounded by acres of parkland, the Clogher Valley abounds in tree varieties that provide an amazing array of changing colours in autumn. The woodlands also conceal an assortment of wildlife including squirrels, deer, ducks and other wildbirds.
  • Clogher is steeped in history and was once the capital of the ancient kingdom of Oriel.
    According to legend, the first Bishop of Clogher was St. Macartan from whom the Cathedral gets its name, The Cloch – or, one of the three stones of Erin – is preserved here.
  • William Carleton, described by Yeats as ‘The greatest novelist of Ireland’ was born in the locality. The Carleton summer school in August each year attracts many visitors, writers and historians, as does Carleton’s cottage, which is open to the public.
  • The present nursing home in the centre of the town was built as a Bishops Palace in 1799.
  • Clogher today is a thriving community on the main road to Enniskillen the ‘Gateway to the West.

 

Clones

  • Clones is situated on the Monaghan Fermanagh border midway between the towns of Monaghan and Cavan.

  • Clones has many buildings and sites of historical interest. The Diamond is dominated by the Church of Ireland and an early 9/10thc High Cross. Other buildings of note in and around the town include the Presbyterian Church, and the ruins of John Wesley's Methodist Church. The Ulster Canal Store is a community enterprise providing tourist information, a permanent exhibition of Clones lace, coffee shop and bicycle hire facility. Clones golf Club and 9-hole course is set amidst Hilton Park's old demesne with spectacular countryside views.

  • Clones is a town steeped in history incorporating the ruins of a round tower, abbey and many historical and aesthetic buildings. Regarded by any a the home of Ulster GAA, St. Tiernach’s Park opened to the public in 1944 and today it is Ulster’s premier venue, hosting the Ulster Football Final on an annual basis.

  • Boxer Barry McGuigan brought fame to the town as did Eugene and Pat McCabe, Pat McGeagan (Eurovision) and Comholtas Ceoltoiri na hEireann. Once the hub of railway activity in the northeast, Clones can look forward to renewed growth and activity with the re-opening of the Ulster Canal in the years ahead.
  •  All this in addition to shops, restaurants, retailers, educational and financial institutions the town has to offer.


 

Clontibret

  • Clontibret is located on the southern side of the border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland; between the towns of Castleblayney, Ballybay and Monaghan. The territory is largely rural and covers an area of some 116 townlands..
  • There are three Catholic schools - St Michael's at Annyalla, St Mary's at Clontibret and All Saints at Doohamlet.
    Recently, exploration by Conroy Diamonds and Gold Plc. has detected assays of gold making the site a possible future mine deposit. Currently the mine is at an ''exploratory stage'' and there are ongoing geochemical and borehole drilling tests being conducted.
  • Clontibret takes its place is history as being the setting for the first battle in the Nine Year’s War (1595 – 1603). The English forces under Bagenal and Seagrave suffered a major defeat on 27 May 1595.
  • One of Clontibret’s famous sons was Colonel John O’Neill (born 1834). He served in the federal forces in the American civil war attaining the rank of colonel.
  • Today there are many small industries to be found in the Clontibret catchment area. The Wildlife Education Centre provides a unique learning environment with exhibitions which include a mounted bird and fauna collection, an audio visual and slide show unit plus cafeteria and picnic facilities.

 

Cootehill

  • Cootehill derives its name from the marriage of Thomas Coote, a colonel in the Cromwellian forces, and Frances Hill from Hillsborough, Co.Down. Situated amidst the rolling Drumlin hills of Cavan in an area of outstanding beauty, Cootehill offers a variety of outdoor and indoor activities within easy reach of the town.
  • Cootehill is the ideal location, being only 1.5 hours from Dublin or Belfast.  It is a vibrant friendly town situated on the Monaghan/Cavan border. There are approximately 25 excellent fishing lakes within 15km of the town.
  • Cycling and walking tours around the town enable you to enjoy the many places of historical interest including the watermills (with stone-grinding) at Foy's Bunnoe, Dawson Monument on Rockcorry Road, 7 Churches and 3 Graveyards. Maudebawn cultural and heritage centre organise classes, seminars, guided walks, summer schools and tours.Historic structures includes Bellamont House (1725) boraw megalithic tomb and the moravian cemetery
  • A range of outdoor activities is catered for in nearby Tanagh Rockcorry and Carrickmacross .

 

County Monaghan

  • County Monaghan has a population of 52,000 people.
  •  It has five principal towns, Castleblayney, Carrickmacross, Clones, Ballybay and the county town being Monaghan itself.
  • There are also a number of smaller towns and villages in the county including; Emyvale, Glaslough, Ballinode, Tydavnet, Threemilehouse, Clontibret, Smithboro, Scotshouse and Rockcorry to name a few.

 

Print  
 
Copyright (c) 2008 Gunne Monaghan Terms Of UsePrivacy Statement